As the temperature goes up this summer, ensuring you stay hydrated is as important as ever.
We’re facing a recording-breaking heatwave, with weather warnings being issued by the Met Office. But what are the effects of an increase in temperature on the body?
The importance of hydration
Many of the everyday functions and processes of our bodies rely on water. From active brain function to the transportation of blood and nutrients around the body (BDA) – water is paramount to them all. On average, we should be drinking between 6 – 8 glasses of water per day, to maintain optimal hydration levels. When the temperature outside goes up, the body has to work that much harder in order to maintain its core temperature of around 37.5 degrees Celsius.
In an effort to stop the core temperature going up, the body produces sweat which, as it evaporates, increases the heat lost from the body. In order to produce the sweat required, moisture levels in the body are depleted. Excessive sweating can lead to a critical loss of fluids and salt. This imbalance of the body’s fluid and salt levels can cause dehydration and even, in extreme circumstances, heat exhaustion.
The common symptoms of dehydration to look out for are:
- Fatigue or sleepiness
- Dry mouth
- Little to no urine, or urine that is darker than usual
More serious symptoms of dehydration can include:
- A weak or rapid pulse
- Lasting dizziness
It’s important to remember that anyone can be affected by dehydration and heat exhaustion, but some people are even more susceptible to dehydration that can lead to serious harm, such as the elderly, very young children and people with certain illnesses and disabilities.
How to stay hydrated
Plain water is the best way to maintain your body’s levels of hydration. If caught early enough, dehydration can be treated by drinking adequate levels of water. If you struggle with drinking water or drinking enough water, the following tips can help (Family Doctor):
- Carry a reusable water bottle with you throughout the day that can be refilled wherever you go
- Drink water before, during and after any workout
- Setting a schedule throughout the day can help if you struggle to remember to drink water. Set an alarm for when you wake up, all mealtimes and when you go to bed, or even a once hourly reminder when it is hot outside
- Add a slice of lemon or lime, or other fresh fruit, to your water for a refreshing flavour
Some ways you can avoid dehydration are:
- Avoid exercising during the warmest part of the day
- Stay out of the sun between 11am – 3pm, when the sun is at its peak
- Keep to the shade where possible, wear a wide-brimmed hat and use plenty of high-factor sun block
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol
- Check up on those who may be more susceptible to dehydration, such as the elderly and disabled and keep small children and pets out of the sun as well
Enjoy the warm weather and ensure you and your family stay hydrated with Doulton this summer.
Hydrate This Summer With Great Tasting Water with Doulton. Whilst hydration is very important, so is great tasting water.
Doulton Water Filters is the home of healthy, great-tasting water for almost 200 years. Tested and certified by independent laboratories to reduce bacteria, particulates, turbidity, cysts, chlorine, limescale and heavy metals including lead.
Benefits of filtered water:
- Reduce plastic waste
- Great taste
- Removes contaminants and microplastics
- Keeps healthy minerals
If you drink a lot of bottled water, having a water filter system can also be very cost effective.
Doulton offer a number of solutions for in your home or on the go.
Our countertop systems fit onto your existing kitchen tap and sit next to your sink, ideal for if you live a rented property or do not want help from a professional.
The under the sink systems are also easily fitted, they are fitted under your sink out of sight, they are easily, may require a plumber or a handyman and more of a permanent solution.
On the go a lot? Our Gravity systems are perfect for in your kitchen or take with you on your travels camping or at the caravan. Made out of stylish stainless steel these can sit on the counter-top at home, or be packed up to take with you on your travels.
All of our water filter systems remove 99.9% of contaminants – a perfect solution for great tasting water.