What is Coronavirus?
Coronavirus (COVID-19) is an illness that can affect your lungs and airways. In the UK, our Chief Medical Officers have raised the risk to the public from low to moderate.
As you are aware the number of people infected with the virus is changing on a daily basis. For up-to-date information about Coronavirus please visit the Government's online advice and for medical advice from the NHS.
What are the symptoms of Coronavirus?
The symptoms of coronavirus include a cough, a high temperature and shortness of breath. 80% of people infected have mild symptoms but some people will require hospital treatment. Even if you have these symptoms it doesn't mean you have the coronavirus, it could be another type of virus like a cold or flu.
How is it spread?
As COVID-19 is a newly identified virus, the exact way in which it spreads is not yet known. However, similar viruses are spread via droplets from coughing or sneezing.
What can I do to protect myself?
The advice provided by the NHS is to:
- wash your hands with soap and water often do this for at least 20 seconds
- always wash your hands when you get home or into work
- use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin straight away and wash your hands afterwards
- try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
- do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.
Will filtering my tap water help protect me from contracting coronavirus?
Doulton® ceramic filter candles are able to filter a number of different impurities including bacteria, cysts, heavy metals, disinfectants and particles, including microplastics. However, the virus particles are too small to be filtered out.
It is important to remember that tap water in the UK is considered safe to drink and is routinely treated via a number of different processes. To reduce your risk of becoming infected with coronavirus follow the advice provided above.